My name is Aleksandra and I wrote 50 000 words in a month! On that note, I’m so happy to be off to an epic beginning with the purplemouseblog, a blog named after a character my mom invented and dedicated to my writing and indie “publishing company” (I have put that term between quotation marks because, as of now, “purple mouse publishing” refers to my self-published books).
This, however, puts me in an awkward position, because I must introduce both myself and the story in one blog entry, and we all know that no one has the patience to read through all that . . . To make the introduction considerably shorter than 50 000 words, I’ll focus on the literary side of myself for today and expand on it in the days to come. So without further ado:
5 Facts about Aleks and Books
1) My favourite book is Anne of Green Gables by L. M. Montgomery. It inspired me to write and to be a teacher
2) I have an English Major and a Masters in French literature. I am currently doing a PhD in the latter
3) I am currently reading Drame d’Amour a Anecho by Felix Couchoro for school and Cinder by Marissa Meyer for fun
4) I have been writing since third grade, but I’ve only completed a novel once. It was called U.W.I. United with Infinity: Dancing with Change (it has a wibbly wobbly timey wimey plot)
5) My Master’s memoire (short thesis) was on Discours sur le bonheur by Emilie du Chatelet
Facts about my Nanowrimo story
1) It’s called An Epic Story
2) It’s a fantasy adventure that mostly takes place in another dimension called The Land of Legends and Ancient songs, which can be best described as Middle Earth-meets-Narnia-meets-Disneyland
3) It is my first time writing from the point of view of a boy (NOTE: my studies center around women’s literature written by lesser known female authors who I attempt to bring into the main stream, and, although I have read and thoroughly enjoyed many books from the point of view of men, I find it easiest to relate to female heroes. Making the hero believable and realistic was therefore, quite a challenge for me). This boy is high school student Roland Delacroix, a self-proclaimed “stereotypical nerd” and “looser” with hidden depths. The story, while written in third person, is mostly focalized through him.
4) Although Roland, a “physical world” human is the “chosen one” and the hero, this story has a large ensemble cast of main characters who embark on a quest to slay the Last Dragon. These characters being Aleks and Andrzej, two Interdimensional (basically “human TARDIS”) siblings who act as the transport, Captain Jolly Roger (a “land of legends human”) who is the intoxicated one, Toto the rottweiler (the muscle), Valdin Bearhide the dwarf (the blacksmith and weapon’s expert), Wawawa the naiad (the “athletic one,” although I haven’t completely developed the character yet).
5) The story will probably end up being in three books, not because it is truly an epic enough story to merit three books, but because I tend to be long winded
It would seem that for the next few months this site will describe my editing and . . . erm . . . publishing process . . . I have a topic to keep me going! Stay tuned for my misadventures in publishing!